Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Why enroll in a graduate course?

The intellectual challenge of doing graduate work is very rewarding. 

Additionally, if the undergraduate is accepted within two years to one of SUNY Empire’s graduate programs to which the course(s) will apply, the course(s) can then be used in that program. 

This is a great way to save time and money.

Some Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to view the answer.

No, the undergraduate student must be within 32 credits of completing a bachelor’s degree and must have a concurred degree program.

Graduate courses are offered in the following terms:

  • Fall
  • Spring
  • Summer

School for Graduate Studies

The School for Graduate Studies does not have a specific list of course open to undergraduate students. The faculty of a program review each request on a case by case basis. Please refer to the Term Guide for the courses offered that term.

School of Nursing

As of summer 2014, undergraduate students may not enroll in graduate nursing courses.

The maximum number is three courses for a total of 9 credits. 

Additionally, an undergraduate student cannot enroll in more than two courses, or 6 credits, in a given term.


Undergraduates pay the undergraduate tuition rate, making this a great value.


Once approved, the graduate course becomes part of the undergraduate degree program and it can be covered by financial aid.

A graduate course takes the place of a study/course that was already approved for the bachelor’s degree.

It is important to note that:

  1. Enrolling in a graduate course needs to be discussed with the primary mentor/academic advisor.
  2. Graduate courses are 3 credits each.
  3. If the graduate course title was used in the approved undergraduate degree program, that is fine but it is important to remember that approval of the degree program is not approval to enroll in a graduate course.
  4. Once Enrollment in a graduate course has been approved and processed, the undergraduate degree program may need to be amended.


Only undergraduate courses can be used to meet general education requirements.

The primary mentor/academic advisor and student will discuss this option. 

If it makes sense to move forward, the primary mentor/academic advisor will have the student complete and submit the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses Permission and Registration Forms (PDF 252kB).‌

Note: You will need Adobe Reader to read PDF documents. If it is not installed on your computer, download it for free from Adobe.

Contact Us




Phone: 800-847-3000 or 518-587-2100

Fax: 518-580-0105

Mailing Address

SUNY Empire State College
Office of the Registrar
111 West Ave.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

More Information

For current students: Registrar in MyESC (login required)