Interlibrary Loan Service
Please note that physically delivered items (ie, books) are not currently available, due to budget limitations.
Service has been expanded to ALL faculty, including part-time line faculty and adjuncts.
- New: Interlibrary loan video how-to
- What is interlibrary loan?
- Am I eligible?
- What can I borrow?
- How to request an item
- How to renew an item
- Interlibrary loan FAQ
Interlibrary loan is a service that allows members of one library to borrow books, journal articles and other materials from other libraries.
Note: The college does not obtain or ship books outside the continental U.S.
- Graduate students, all faculty, staff are eligible to use interlibrary loan; if you are not eligible, there may be alternatives.
- electronic book chapters
- electronic journal, magazine and newspaper articles
Not available through interlibrary loan:
- materials that have to be delivered physically
- multivolume sets
- government documents
- theses and dissertations
- rare books
- archival materials
- First, check to see if the item you want is available through the Empire State College Online Library; use Journal Finder to check articles and E-book Catalog to check books.
- If you haven't registered already, click "Register;" if you already are registered, skip to step 4.
- Complete your information and submit the form.
- Go back and click the log-in link.
- Enter the citation information for the item you want and submit the form.
- Watch for notification emails.
- In the left column of the page, click "Checked Out Items".
- Select the item you wish to renew by clicking the appropriate transaction number to the left of the item's title; you will see detailed information about the item.
- Check at the bottom of the page to see if renewals are allowed.
- If renewals are allowed, click "Request Renewal" at the top-right corner of the screen.
Note: Renewals are not allowed after the initial due date or for recalled items; for some items, they are not allowed at all.
Return envelopes are not necessary for electronically delivered items. Physically delivered items are not currently available.
- If you need a new return envelope, please fill out the Ask a Librarian Form with your mailing address and identify what you will put in the envelope.
Note: Do not write, highlight or fold pages in the books that you borrow. You will have to pay for damages.
If you are unable to view or use the Ask a Librarian chat widget above, you may also:
Call 800-847-3000, ext. 2222
- Sun: 1 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Mon-Thu: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sun: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Mon-Thu: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
July - August:
- Mon-Thu: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Please note: Ask a Librarian is closed during the Spring, Summer and Winter breaks. Academic librarians from the Ask Us 24/7 consortium are available to help any time via chat when Ask a Librarian is closed.
If you need to request accommodations for library content, on the basis of a disability or accessibility needs, please contact Accessibility Resources and Services by emailing them at Disability.Services@esc.edu. Requests for accommodations should be submitted as early as possible to allow for sufficient planning. If you have questions, please visit the Accessibility Resources and Services website.