What is Title IX?
Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. section 1681 is a federal civil rights law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
Because Empire State College receives federal financial assistance, all students and employees are covered by Title IX.
Consistent with federal and state guidelines, Empire State College does not discriminate on the basis of age, carrier status, color, disability, domestic violence victim, gender, gender identity, genetic predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status in its educational programs or employment.
Title IX also prohibits other forms of sex discrimination such as harassment or sexual violence.
For further resources please visit: http://www.suny.edu/violence-response/
Role of the Title IX Coordinator
The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for the oversight of:
- employee and student notification and education about their rights under Title IX
- grievance procedures of alleged discriminatory behaviors that are in violation of Title IX
- monitoring college compliance related to all aspects of Title IX.
The Title IX coordinator is responsible for oversight of:
Notification and Education
- dissemination of educational materials
- coordination of training for students and employees about their rights under Title IX.
- receipt and processing of inquires and complaints of alleged discriminatory behaviors that are in violation of Title IX.
- review of Title IX cases received in other offices
- partnerships with the following offices to safeguard students’ rights and responsibilities:
- collegewide student services
- human resources
- safety and security
- examination and review of Empire State College internal practices related to all aspects of Title IX
- remaining current with state and federal laws as they relate to Title IX.