FAQ About Tuition Assistance and Benefits for Veterans and Military

Does New York State offer any veterans tuition awards?

Today, many military veterans in New York state who attend college full or part time are entitled to a New York State Veterans Tuition Award (NYSVTA). For more information, visit "Veterans Tuition Awards" on the website for the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

How do I apply for New York state veterans tuition awards?
  1. Apply for FAFSA and TAP at http://www.hesc.com/
  2. Click on Students, families, etc.
  3. Click on New York Residents
  4. Click on Apply for TAP
  5. Complete FAFSA application (federal code 010286)
  6. Complete TAP application (school code 0913)

If you are applying for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), provide a copy of your approved TA document to the student accounts office as soon as you receive it. Their contact information is:

Office of Student Accounts
Empire State College
111 West Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: 800-847-3000, ext. 2516 / Fax: 518-581-2782

Active duty students receiving TA must send an approved copy of their TA document to the Buffalo Regional Processing Office immediately upon receipt. Their contact information is:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Buffalo Regional Office
130 S. Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14202-2478
Phone: 800-827-1000 / Fax: 716-857-3396

If you have questions, contact Michael LaBrecque at Michael.LaBrecque@esc.edu, 800 847-3000 ext 2343

How do I apply for federal VA benefits?
  1. File appropriate paperwork at http://www.gibill.va.gov/. Complete V.A. Form 22-1990 if using VA benefits for the first time or V.A. Form 22-1995 if you used VA benefits previously.
  2. Fax or mail completed form to:
    Office of the Registrar
    Empire State College
    2 Union Avenue
    Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
    Fax: 518 580-0105

If you have questions, contact the Student Information Center at 800 847-3000 ext. 2285 or e-mail: Registrar'sOffice@esc.edu

Can veterans take part in work-study programs?

Student veterans have the opportunity to participate in the college’s work study programs. You can find more information on the VA Work Study Program,

Are other financial aid options available?

Our Financial Aid office has information about other financial aid options for veterans and military personnel.