How to Apply For Awards and Admission
Apply for Awards and Admission
Step 1. Contact a VA representative to determine eligibility.
- Federal VA Benefits 888-838-7697
- VA Benefits Counseling: A NYS Division of Veterans’ Affairs counselor is co-located at the college to discuss federal and New York state benefits. Contact Paul Stote at 518-587-2100, ext. 2871.
Step 2. Apply Online (VONAPP) for VA Awards
- Go to http://www.gibill.va.gov/apply-for-benefits/application/
- Complete funding application using VA Form 22-1990 if using VA benefits for the first time
- Complete funding application VA Form 22-1995 if previously used VA benefits at another institution
- Submit DD-214 with funding application
- The VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which outlines percentage of benefits.
Step 3. Fax COE or copy of funding application (22-1990 and 22-1995) to our VA certifying official at 518-580-0105.
Step 4. Complete the SUNY Empire State College Application for Admission at http://suny-empire.esc.edu/admissions/
Step 5. Once accepted and completed orientation, enroll in course(s) at http://www.esc.edu/MyESC
Step 6. Our certifying official submits enrollment certification to the VA.
New York State (NYS) Veterans Tuition Awards
- Eligible veterans who are NYS residents and who attend undergraduate or graduate study may be able to receive up to 98 percent of their tuition. For information contact Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) at 888-697-4372.
Apply for Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA)
Step 2. Complete FAFSA application (federal code 010286)
Step 3. Complete NYSVTA Supplement (school code 0913)
Questions about using VA benefits at the college?
Contact the Student Information Center at 800-847-3000, ext. 2285.