Student Connections

Announcing the GREAT Empire State College 24-Hour Giving Challenge: April 9, 2014

By Rebekah Myers, student, School for Graduate Studies

April 9, 2014

Today, April 9, 2014, is your chance to help Empire State College earn $50,000! David Fullard and Bob Carey, members of the Alumni Foundation Board, will donate a $50,000 challenge grant if the college receives just 200 donations of any amount within the 24-hour period.

This challenge is deeply important for those with ties to SUNY Empire State College because it encourages our community to give back and promotes a sense of involvement and ownership in the future of Empire State College. How do you feel about your ability to pay for your college education? Financial aid is something that can be taken for granted because it rarely occurs to students that these funds are only made possible through generous gifts from distinct benefactors. Many of our students receive financial aid in amounts big or small, and the money received through this challenge will enable current and future students to pursue their educational goals.

Every donation counts and your donation will directly impact the life of someone who hopes to earn a college education. Let’s do our part for the future of our school by increasing the commitment of our students with a smooth and abundant financial aid process. Donations can certainly be made at any time on a regular basis, however, April 9 is a significant day for all of us to work together to reach the goal of 200 donations.

Can you see yourself as successful alumni soon? Do you picture yourself walking across that stage having reached your goal? Can you think back to when you realized you were going to make it? A college degree is such a significant accomplishment in one’s life. How will you use it to make a difference? This challenge grant not only ensures that future students will have access to the same goals that you are pursuing but also helps highlight our college community as a strong group of people who believe that education makes a difference.

Today is the day! I encourage you to be counted among those who made a difference—a big difference to those seeking a higher education degree!

I pledge to take a few moments out of my day and make my donation at www.esc.edu/challenge, I hope you will do the same.

Other News

GVC Student Lori Mould Elected President of the SUNY Student Assemby; to Serve Year on Board of Trustees, By David Henahan, director of communications, Office of Communications and Government Relations

Information on Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses, By Pat Ryan, director of student and academic services, School for Graduate Studies

Associate Dean Sonja Givens Edits Book Exploring Social Challenges for Women of Color; Published by Lexington, By Helen Edelman, manager, Exchange

Did You Know

The Student Connection is always seeking creative and journalistic submissions from students. Check out our Submission Guidelines and submit something today!

Article Contributors

Kristina Delbridge

Helen Edelman

David Henahan

Rebekah Myers

Jennifer Quaglio

Pat Ryan