Healthy Students Stay Enrolled and Achieve their Academic Goals
By Andy Binder, community outreach and events coordinator
March 12, 2013
SUNY Empire State College’s Office of Collegewide Student Services has planned the college’s inaugural Student Wellness Retreat, May 16 – 18, at the Desmond Hotel and Conference Center in Albany. Students are welcome to attend at no charge.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- meet with personal wellness coaches and set up fitness and nutrition plans
- attend presentations and demonstrations on topics such as stress management, time management, coping with grief and loss, interactive yoga and Pilates, among others
- connect with fellow Empire State College students and interact with faculty and staff
- participate in a comprehensive health fair which will feature health-and-wellness-themed vendors and provide free screenings for participants including biometric screenings, skin-damage screenings, bone-density screenings, vision tests and paraffin hand treatments
- attend the keynote address delivered by WNYT/NewsChannel13 anchorwoman, health reporter and three-time Emmy nominee Benita Zahn, who will speak on joy and the role of happiness in well-being
- get a free professional chair massage
The Student Wellness Retreat is funded by the student health fee and registration is free for all Empire State College students. Students in need of financial assistance in order to travel to the retreat may apply for a travel grant. Travel grants are available on a first come, first serve basis.
The Desmond Hotel and Conference Center is located just minutes from Albany International Airport, downtown Albany and the Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak station. It offers premier amenities including three on-site dining options, a newly renovated fitness center and indoor pool and jacuzzi.
For more information on the retreat, including the tentative schedule, registration information, presenter proposal information, travel grant application and about the Albany area, go to choose.esc.edu/swr2013.
Registration is now open.
The Student Wellness Retreat is part of Empire State College’s Health and Wellness Initiative based on the principle that good physical and emotional health is crucial for academic success. To help encourage success, in addition to the Student Wellness Retreat, Empire State College offers students health and wellness services including Talk One-2-One Student Assistance Program, which features 24/7 free phone access to a counselor for any problem, as well as free access to legal and financial advice; the student wellness website featuring access to wellness coaches, tools to live well, lose weight, manage stress and quit smoking; discounted insurance options; and wellness-themed events at Empire State College regional centers throughout New York state. Details are at www.esc.edu/hwi.
Questions can be directed to Andy Binder, community outreach and events coordinator, at email@example.com or 518-587-2100, ext.2703.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net
Tax Season is Upon Us: Here’s What College Students Should Know, By Jessica Estremera, graduate student, School for Graduate Studies
Top 5 Time Management Considerations for Todays Adult Student, By Craig Lamb, director of academic support, Center for Distance Learning
Tantalizing Textiles – The Fantastic Fibers of our Layered Lives, By Judith Belt-Smith, graduate student, School for Graduate Studies
Did You Know...
Travel grants to Empire State College's inaugural Health and Wellness Retreat, taking place May 16-18 at The Desmond in Albany, N.Y., are available on a first come, first serve basis. Students may apply for a travel grant during registration. To register, go to 2013 Student Wellness Retreat.