Student Affairs Committee
Report to the Senate
October 3, 2008
The Student Affairs Committee (SAC) held its first face-to-face meeting in Latham on September 16.
- The committee received updates on the following items:
- Student Conduct Code Revisions – input has been received from all of the centers. SAC reviewed this input and voted to move this item forward to the Senate.
- Graduation Procedures – the administrative liaison will be collecting procedures from all of the centers. She will also look at online graduation forms. SAC is concerned about ceremony participation and the actual graduation clearance.
- Middle States – both of the SAC co-chairs are serving on task forces and will keep the committee informed.
- Optimal Resume – thanks to the work of SAC, this service is now available to students through MyESC (in the student services section).
- Scholarships for Students on Governance – Thanks to the administration, students serving on governance (Senate, SAC, ETC, GSPC) are now eligible for a scholarship (up to 4cr undergrad. and 3cr grad.). SAC reviewed the notification memo and application. Scholarships will be awarded this governance year.
- The committee received reports from the following working groups:
- Newsletter – have met with OCR and the timeline for the winter newsletter has been developed. Articles/items are in development.
- Student Academic Conference – Oct. 18 at the CNY Center – presentations have been selected. Deb Amory, Joyce Elliott and Alan Davis will all address the group. Registrations are strong! The conference and preconference workshops (Oct. 17) are free of charge and the registration deadline is Oct. 1.
- Web page and Discussion Database – both have been reviewed. Proposed revisions will be submitted to SAC for discussion. Routine items such as archiving and personnel updates will begin.
- Orientation to SAC – the students are working on a special packet for new student members.
- Poster Competition – this has been funded by SAF. SAC is mapping out the process now.
- Certificate of service for student members – SAC began doing this last year to thank students for the time they put into this committee. This will remain a standing item for SAC. Certificates are presented at the spring face-to-face meeting.
- Students Assisting Students – no update on this item.
- Honors – members of this working group will be meeting within the next month.
- Communication – no update on this item.
- Bylaws – no changes to move forward.
- Clubs and Organizations – members of this working group will be meeting within the next month.
Lori Donahue, Student Co-Chair
Pat Ryan, Faculty/Staff Co-Chair