Student Affairs Committee Meeting
Minutes
February 27, 2009

Conference Call
10:30 am – 12:00 p.m.

Call to Order

Role Call: Pat Myers, Francesca Cichello, Dee Cote, Laura Arpey, Shelly Stam, Pat Ryan (Convener and Chair), Goldie Satt-Arrow, Aili McDonald, Audrey Lynch, Jennifer Bent, Baraka Corley, Angelina Guglielmo, Jane Cudmore

Excused Absences: Lori Donahue, Penny Baker, Linda Hamell, Kimberly Heilmann, Lisa Ackerman, Ginger Knight

I. Approval of minutes from November and December Conference Calls

November:
Motion: Goldie
Second Motion: Dee
Minutes were approved by all in attendance.

December:
Motion: Aili
Second Motion: Dee
Minutes were approved by all in attendance.



II. Revisions to Agenda
Audrey – Stated there is a need for regular, college e-mail accounts for our students
Pat Ryan – Brought up the invitation for the Inaugural Dinner for SAC students
Goldie – Asked about reimbursement/expenses for students attending
Dee – Indicated expenses would be paid for students attending
Goldie – Asked about reimbursement for hotel accommodations
Pat Myers – Confirmed, yes, travel will be covered including hotel expenses
Pat Ryan – Indicates Kelly Williams needs to hear back soon from any students interested in attending the Inaugural Dinner

III. Old Business
A. Updates from Working Groups
Lori – Newsletter in Process – funded for 2 per year
Pat Ryan gave the update for Lori – Newsletter is moving along nicely. Both she and Pat Myers have seen the draft. They are doing a winter and summer newsletter.
Pat Myers - Added it looks really good and has a lot of student input included. There are two students highlighted and a SAC representative highlighted.

Audrey – Student Academic Conference
A group presented this topic at the PE Conference in early February. They shared what happened at the Student Academic Conference and looked for input from the attendees for suggestions/ideas about how to improve it. Suggestions were:

· Find a way to bring IP students to conference to increase diversity
· Invite Chancellor Award Winners to conference
· Look into inviting a group of students from Metro who travel to Africa
· Inviting Arts Students
· Having an Art Reception
· Having interactive events like a dancing session
· Use the conference and art reception to try to improve the college’s exposure to the local community – possibly invite the local community to attend
· Use past students to reach out to current students in an effort to increase attendance

They will continue with pre conference workshops. There was strong attendance. They also believe there will be funding for a publication for student presentations for next year. HVC will host next conference.

Jane – Web Page and Discussion Database

This is in progress. Jane will correct/change the attachments and will send everything out within the next week or so via e-mail. We will discuss this at the face-to-face meeting in April.

Orientation to SAC – Penny

Penny is not on the call. Penny put together a draft. We will table this for April meeting.


Poster Competition – Goldie


Pat Ryan - Raised a question because the poster draft didn’t tie into the budget request
Goldie - Indicates she had budget guidelines
Pat Ryan - Would like more detail added about prizes, budget, etc

We will discuss this at the April meeting.
Question was raised – who will be judging the posters?

Goldie - Will e-mail a comprehensive list, including budget information, to discuss in April


Certificate of Services – Francesca


This is on target for April meeting. Contact Francesca if you would like to see a draft of what will be presented.


Students Assisting Students – Who?


Goldie - Stated if we promote SAC, students assisting students could take care of itself. She would like to urge Center Student Reps to do a blast e-mail to introduce them. Things could move smoothly from there.
Pat Ryan –Are you suggesting we drop this?
Goldie – Only as a subcommittee until it has more definition
Pat Myers – Maybe this is more of a communication issue, so she is in favor of dropping this for now.
Audrey - SAC reps will approach Student Services person at each Center to help clearly identify who the Student Reps are.
Pat Ryan – Let’s confirm who the Student Reps are. Should we hold until June 1 when we know who all the Student Reps are?
Pat Myers – Presented idea for a subcommittee to look at Student Reps as communicators. This could ensure every year people are working to get the names out there to the students. This subcommittee could work on getting permission to use student e-mails too.
Pat Ryan – Should we drop student assisting students? Should we form new student rep communication subcommittee at next Governance retreat?
Group Agrees


Clubs and Organizations – Pat

Pat Myers – Ready to go out to centers. The most important part is that center meetings should include this topic. Are there other ways of doing that?
Audrey – You could sent it out via e-mail and get feedback. This generally does work better at a business meeting as it may get lost over e-mail. My center is anxious to move forward.
Pat Myers – I would prefer it’s on the center meeting agenda in April or May understanding some centers will have to do it by e-mail. The goal is to get this to the President before this governance year is out.
Pat Ryan – SAF Funding – There is a group of students who makes decisions about how this money is spent. They look at proposals and determine how to allocate the money.
Pat Myers – Can SAC put together a proposal to SAF for clubs/organizations for the following year if they need it? Can they set aside a certain amount of money in case we need it for clubs and organizations?
Pat Ryan – Proposal due by 3/23 – what is an appropriate amount?
Pay Myers - $5,000 – 10,000 dollars. Things start slowly. Pat will talk to Maureen Winney about how the logistics work. An e-mail will be sent out, or something on the SAC discussion database, about this issue since the deadline is 3/23.
Jane – What is the timing?
Pat Myers – The timing is after July 1

Student E-mail

Audrey - Datatel is hard to use for communicating with students. Student e-mail accounts would help facilitate the communication between the college and students
All agreed this would be a great idea and very needed.
We will work with ETC for a resolution – each SAC member will contact their ETC representative
Audrey will write up a blurb about this.
Pat Ryan and Dee will contact chairs of ETC.

III. New Business

A. Final Bylaws draft from Senate – college assembly to vote at All College
a. Pat Ryan – Review the changes. There are very significant changes.
b. Pat Myers - Staff can send in an amendment proposal to Ed Warzala and Kelly Williams. If you don’t agree with changes, you need to put in writing a statement to amend that.
c. Pat Ryan – Can people just vote no and say they don’t agree?

Pat Myers – I’m not sure. We may not be able to take it piece by piece. I think there has to be an amendment to what is proposed, but will follow up. Bylaws are approved or disapproved as a whole.

B. Honors Proposal From CUSP
a. Audrey – if I want honors as a Student, I would want it on my degree, not just on my transcript as a note. Graduating with honors may be better. Does it leave it up to every center to decide how they administer it?
b. Jane – Doesn’t like it all.
c. Dee – Is not thrilled with it. Knows people who are attending Columbia and it’s a big deal when you’re on the Deans list or Honors. It would be nice for student to be recognized during graduation ceremony.
d. Jane – this something isn’t better than nothing
e. Dee – only good for new students. Prohibitive at best for current students.
f. Pat Ryan – Grad has punitive grades. GPA has real meaning. GCUSP maybe look at honors options for Grad students. This could be reflecting for students performing well
g. Fransesca – seconds this from Pat Ryan. International Programs students make like this.
h. Goldie – The whole idea of this kind of recognition is almost slapping the mission of the college in the face. If this is put up front at orientation, it makes a little better. Otherwise, I have real problems with this because some really good students opt not to have grades
i. Aili - I'd like to add that I appreciate that the committee planning this is up against a lot of objection to implement any sort of honors. But I agree with today's discussion that this proposal doesn't really serve the students well. For students who are already well into their degree plan, this isn't a possibility. It reads as more of an opportunity for a thesis project than as recognition of academic performance.
j. Narrative Evaluations – put on April agenda.
C. SAF Proposal Due March 23
D. SAC Annual Report Due March 6
E. Move April Face to Face Meeting to participate in Middle States feedback
a. Pat Ryan will talk to Kelly Williams about getting a room in a building on Thursday, 3/26 around 2:00 for student input. Pat will e-mail us this information.

IV. Standing Reports
A. Senate (Pat)
1.) Most of the meeting devoted to final draft of bylaws
2.) CNY will be first center to pilot wireless access
3.) Student rep asked if use of text software with Angle and/or Vista was a problem for others?
4.) Term calendar task force - will be seeking student input

B. Alumni Federation Board (Kimberly)

C. Educational Technology Committee (Penny)

V. Upcoming Calls/Meetings
A. Meeting in Saratoga, April 28, 9am - 1pm (minutes taken by Pat Ryan)
B. Need a May conference call? - Perhaps wait to see what Apr meeting brings?
C. Tentatively schedule a June call for next governance year's group? (New governance year begins on June 1)


Motion to adjourn: Goldie
Second motion: Aili

All were in favor, meeting was adjourned at 12:00 PM.

(Minutes for this meeting taken by Laura Arpey)

Student Affairs Committee
Conference Call Meeting
February 27, 2009
10:30am – 12:00



Call to Order

Role Call: Pat Myers, Francesca Cichello, Dee Cote, Laura Arpey, Shelly Stam, Pat Ryan (Convener and Chair), Goldie Satt-Arrow, Aili McDonald, Audrey Lynch, Jennifer Bent, Baraka Corley, Angelina Guglielmo, Jane Cudmore

Excused Absences: Lori Donahue, Penny Baker, Linda Hamell, Kimberly Heilmann, Lisa Ackerman, Ginger Knight

I.Approval of minutesfrom November and December Conference Calls November:
Motion: Goldie
Second Motion: Dee
Minutes were approved by all in attendance.
December:
Motion: Aili
Second Motion: Dee
Minutes were approved by all in attendance.

II. Revisions to Agenda
Audrey – Stated there is a need for regular, college e-mail accounts for our students
Pat Ryan – Brought up the invitation for the Inaugural Dinner for SAC students
Goldie – Asked about reimbursement/expenses for students attending
Dee – Indicated expenses would be paid for students attending
Goldie – Asked about reimbursement for hotel accommodations
Pat Myers – Confirmed, yes, travel will be covered including hotel expenses
Pat Ryan – Indicates Kelly Williams needs to hear back soon from any students interested in attending the Inaugural Dinner

III. Old Business
A. Updates from Working Groups
Lori – Newsletter in Process – funded for 2 per year
Pat Ryan gave the update for Lori – Newsletter is moving along nicely. Both she and Pat Myers have seen the draft. They are doing a winter and summer newsletter.
Pat Myers - Added it looks really good and has a lot of student input included. There are two students highlighted and a SAC representative highlighted.

Audrey – Student Academic Conference
A group presented this topic at the PE Conference in early February. They shared what happened at the Student Academic Conference and looked for input from the attendees for suggestions/ideas about how to improve it. Suggestions were:

· Find a way to bring IP students to conference to increase diversity
· Invite Chancellor Award Winners to conference
· Look into inviting a group of students from Metro who travel to Africa
· Inviting Arts Students
· Having an Art Reception
· Having interactive events like a dancing session
· Use the conference and art reception to try to improve the college’s exposure to the local community – possibly invite the local community to attend
· Use past students to reach out to current students in an effort to increase attendance

They will continue with pre conference workshops. There was strong attendance. They also believe there will be funding for a publication for student presentations for next year. HVC will host next conference.

Jane – Web Page and Discussion Database

This is in progress. Jane will correct/change the attachments and will send everything out within the next week or so via e-mail. We will discuss this at the face-to-face meeting in April.

Orientation to SAC – Penny

Penny is not on the call. Penny put together a draft. We will table this for April meeting.
Poster Competition – Goldie
Pat Ryan - Raised a question because the poster draft didn’t tie into the budget request
Goldie - Indicates she had budget guidelines
Pat Ryan - Would like more detail added about prizes, budget, etc

We will discuss this at the April meeting.
Question was raised – who will be judging the posters?

Goldie - Will e-mail a comprehensive list, including budget information, to discuss in April
Certificate of Services – Francesca
This is on target for April meeting. Contact Francesca if you would like to see a draft of what will be presented.
Students Assisting Students – Who?
Goldie - Stated if we promote SAC, students assisting students could take care of itself. She would like to urge Center Student Reps to do a blast e-mail to introduce them. Things could move smoothly from there.
Pat Ryan –Are you suggesting we drop this?
Goldie – Only as a subcommittee until it has more definition
Pat Myers – Maybe this is more of a communication issue, so she is in favor of dropping this for now.
Audrey - SAC reps will approach Student Services person at each Center to help clearly identify who the Student Reps are.
Pat Ryan – Let’s confirm who the Student Reps are. Should we hold until June 1 when we know who all the Student Reps are?
Pat Myers – Presented idea for a subcommittee to look at Student Reps as communicators. This could ensure every year people are working to get the names out there to the students. This subcommittee could work on getting permission to use student e-mails too.
Pat Ryan – Should we drop student assisting students? Should we form new student rep communication subcommittee at next Governance retreat?
Group Agrees
Clubs and Organizations – Pat
Pat Myers – Ready to go out to centers. The most important part is that center meetings should include this topic. Are there other ways of doing that?
Audrey – You could sent it out via e-mail and get feedback. This generally does work better at a business meeting as it may get lost over e-mail. My center is anxious to move forward.
Pat Myers – I would prefer it’s on the center meeting agenda in April or May understanding some centers will have to do it by e-mail. The goal is to get this to the President before this governance year is out.
Pat Ryan – SAF Funding – There is a group of students who makes decisions about how this money is spent. They look at proposals and determine how to allocate the money.
Pat Myers – Can SAC put together a proposal to SAF for clubs/organizations for the following year if they need it? Can they set aside a certain amount of money in case we need it for clubs and organizations?
Pat Ryan – Proposal due by 3/23 – what is an appropriate amount?
Pay Myers - $5,000 – 10,000 dollars. Things start slowly. Pat will talk to Maureen Winney about how the logistics work. An e-mail will be sent out, or something on the SAC discussion database, about this issue since the deadline is 3/23.
Jane – What is the timing?
Pat Myers – The timing is after July 1

Student E-mail

Audrey - Datatel is hard to use for communicating with students. Student e-mail accounts would help facilitate the communication between the college and students
All agreed this would be a great idea and very needed.
We will work with ETC for a resolution – each SAC member will contact their ETC representative
Audrey will write up a blurb about this.
Pat Ryan and Dee will contact chairs of ETC.
III. New Business

A. Final Bylaws draft from Senate – college assembly to vote at All College
a. Pat Ryan – Review the changes. There are very significant changes.
b. Pat Myers - Staff can send in an amendment proposal to Ed Warzala and Kelly Williams. If you don’t agree with changes, you need to put in writing a statement to amend that.
c. Pat Ryan – Can people just vote no and say they don’t agree?Pat Myers – I’m not sure. We may not be able to take it piece by piece. I think there has to be an amendment to what is proposed, but will follow up. Bylaws are approved or disapproved as a whole.B. Honors Proposal From CUSP
a. Audrey – if I want honors as a Student, I would want it on my degree, not just on my transcript as a note. Graduating with honors may be better. Does it leave it up to every center to decide how they administer it?
b. Jane – Doesn’t like it all.
c. Dee – Is not thrilled with it. Knows people who are attending Columbia and it’s a big deal when you’re on the Deans list or Honors. It would be nice for student to be recognized during graduation ceremony.
d. Jane – this something isn’t better than nothing
e. Dee – only good for new students. Prohibitive at best for current students.
f. Pat Ryan – Grad has punitive grades. GPA has real meaning. GCUSP maybe look at honors options for Grad students. This could be reflecting for students performing well
g. Fransesca – seconds this from Pat Ryan. International Programs students make like this.
h. Goldie – The whole idea of this kind of recognition is almost slapping the mission of the college in the face. If this is put up front at orientation, it makes a little better. Otherwise, I have real problems with this because some really good students opt not to have grades
i. Aili - I'd like to add that I appreciate that the committee planning this is up against a lot of objection to implement any sort of honors. But I agree with today's discussion that this proposal doesn't really serve the students well. For students who are already well into their degree plan, this isn't a possibility. It reads as more of an opportunity for a thesis project than as recognition of academic performance.
j. Narrative Evaluations – put on April agenda.
C. SAF Proposal Due March 23
D. SAC Annual Report Due March 6
E. Move April Face to Face Meeting to participate in Middle States feedback
a. Pat Ryan will talk to Kelly Williams about getting a room in a building on Thursday, 3/26 around 2:00 for student input. Pat will e-mail us this information.

IV. Standing Reports
A. Senate (Pat)
1.) Most of the meeting devoted to final draft of bylaws
2.) CNY will be first center to pilot wireless access
3.) Student rep asked if use of text software with Angle and/or Vista was a problem for others?
4.) Term calendar task force - will be seeking student input

B. Alumni Federation Board (Kimberly)

C. Educational Technology Committee (Penny)

V. Upcoming Calls/Meetings
A. Meeting in Saratoga, April 28, 9am - 1pm (minutes taken by Pat Ryan)
B. Need a May conference call? - Perhaps wait to see what Apr meeting brings?
C. Tentatively schedule a June call for next governance year's group? (New governance year begins on June 1)


Motion to adjourn: Goldie
Second motion: Aili

All were in favor, meeting was adjourned at 12:00 PM.

(Minutes for this meeting taken by Laura Arpey)