Student Affairs Committee
Minutes
April 28, 2009
Face to Face Meeting

Attendance:

Audrey Lynch, Shelly Stam, Aili McDonald, Francesca Cichello, Baraka Corey, Pat Myers, Pat Ryan, Angelina Guglielmo, Lori Donahue, Laura Arpey, Ginger Knight, Jane Cudmore, Goldie Satt-Arrow.

I. Minutes approved unanimously

  • motion by Goldie with second by Ginger.

II. Old Business

A. SAC web page and discussion database – walked through Jane’s suggested changes that were distributed in advance. SACC should be changed to StAC. Change student “input on committee’s agenda” to “input regarding matters concerning SAC.” OAA (Kelly Williams) is webmaster so we can make changes. General consensus is bullets/links and less paragraph. Jane will work with OAA on the changes. Vote – contact person for students is SSP at the student’s center? Result was a unanimous vote in favor. The specific info for people will be updated for the new governance year. Listings like annual reports should be consistent with other governance pages? SAC would like all of their info listed for just 3yrs if this is possible. For the calendar, SAC would like just the current year listed. SAC also wants a newsletter page. Discussion database - just keep current year and archive past years. We need to delete the temp SAC discussion database if this is not needed. Pat will check to see if this is necessary for student access. Jane and Pat M. will work together on this and Kelly will make the changes.

B. Orientation to SAC – table to next governance year.

C. Poster competition – Goldie sent out draft and we discussed the money piece since we did not have copies of that = 1st $300; 2nd 200; 3rd $100; student travel limited to $300; notification = $82; poster reproduction = $850 = $1832. SAC agrees that if the winner is from a great distance, then we go back to SAF and request additional funds to cover travel expenses. This used to be done by Alumni. SAC will tie this into the Student Academic Conference (StAC) as part of the art show. The timing will stay the same with the competition done before the conference. Perhaps the winning piece will be used for the cover art of the StAC materials? A condition of the prize is that the college has the right to use the winner piece as it deems appropriate. The following are some of the details that the committee worked out:

  • Submissions need to be digital – on a CD. If we want to, when the competition is over all of the submissions can be displayed virtually as part of StAC . Submission postmarked by July 1.
  • Judges (7) – 1. a SAC student or student with an arts background; 2. StAC committee person, 3. OCR graphic designer; 4. outside arts person; 5 & 6. two college arts faculty; and 7. rep from coordinating center with connection to the arts world. Judging will take place before the faculty reading period. The actually judging – half day for prep and half day for judging? Use Elluminate for the judging? Judging committee needs to be comprised by May 7.
  • Rules – Judging will be blind. One submission per student and no more than 2 views of the submission.
  • Timeline = StAC is Oct. 16 & 17. Need winner by Sept 1. Submissions by July 1. Judging completed by July 20. Notify students for submissions by May 15 at latest. How – use Angel web community group; ESC announcement; MYESC announcement; Ask David White to put a nice e-mail together for just currently enrolled students and flyer at centers. Ask Kelly Williams to design a flyer (Got Art?); need college web page with a short cut address linked StAC. Titled Student Academic Conference Art Competition. In Angel in StAC we will have a private folder. WE NEED TO CONSULT WITH SOMEONE AT CLT regarding limitations and options – upload, max and minimum size, mail CDs, etc?. Pat M. will go to CLT and ask about this.
  • Working groups = Rules, etc – Shelly; Judges - Goldie & Ginger; Promotional materials – Francesca, Goldie, Ginger & Laura; Liaisons to StAC – Shelly & Lori.
  • Conference call = Monday May 11th at 10am to touch base and see how this is progressing. On this call we need to make a decision to move forward or plan for 2010.

D. Clubs and Organizations – carry over to next year. Once the materials are ready, they need to go out to centers.

E. Summer newsletter – two newsletters per years. This year they are winter and summer. The winter newsletter went out around March/Apr – delayed due to inauguration-related printing. Lori is working on summer newsletter – students & faculty profile; honors; StAC; alumni ambassador only CDL?; list 2009/2010 student reps and what SAC does; add info about DAS, Smartthinking, online resources; article from Kelly Hermann. Possible article about new military office. Policy piece = suggestions are academic integrity, incompletes; “what to do when” when preparing for graduation and how long CBE process can take; matriculated v. nonmatriculated. Lori will look into an online version of the newsletter in addition to the paper version. SAC would like more International Program info and connections.

F. Students with serious mental health issues – Pat M. will send out some info on a 24/7 call center run by experienced counsels. She would like SAC’s input on this as a possible service for our students. Look for the link title All One Health that will be sent from Pat M. Send input to Pat M. via e-mail. She will keep SAC updated as this proceeds. This is a service that would be paid for by the college. Among other things, Pat M. will be checking into liability. Student anonymity is guaranteed if they use this service.

III. Working Lunch

A. Presentation of certificates – Lisa Ackerman – this will be mailed to her. Bags given to Shelly and Angelina.

B. Setting up for next governance year – Conference call tentatively scheduled for June 15th at 10:30 am.

  1. New governance year begins June 1 = done
  2. What members continue? = see below.
  3. Governance retreat on June 25 & 26 in Saratoga and Holiday Inn = new this year. Picnic on 2 union lawn, perhaps hospitality suites in hotel. Details will be sent to new SAC.
  4. Suggested items for next governance year – StAC; poster group; narrative evaluation; input on calendar subcommittee; student communication group; newsletter; scholarship; counseling; clubs & orgs.; honors; at governance retreat have seasoned members talk about work and direction of committee; graduation procedures; orientation of new committee members; orientation across the college; info sessions; vision 2015 task force (Goldie & Shelly are SAC rep on mission subgroup); Student Accounting and Financial Aid issues; Student Information Center (hours too short); nontraditional student week.
Name
Center
Returning for 2009-2010 Governance Year
Francesca Cichello
CDL
Yes
Lori Donahue
CDL
Yes
Kammy Hanlin
CNY
Susan Voutsinas
Dee Cote
CNY
?
Laura Arpey
CC
Yes
Audrey Lynch
GVC
Lue Turner
Shelly Stam
GVC
Yes
Pat Ryan
CGP
Pat Isaac
Penny Baker
CGP
Searching for replacement
Edna Bornstein
HVACLS
?
?
HVACLS
?
Linda Hamell
HVC
?
Kimberly Heilmann
HVC
?
Baraka Corley
LIC
Yes
?
LIC
?
Goldie Satt-Arrow
MC
Yes
Angelina Guglielmo
MC
Yes
Jane Cudmore
NFC
Colleen Reedy
Lisa Ackerman
NFC
Searching for replacement
Ginger Knight
NEC
Yes
Aili McDonald
NEC
Yes


Adjourn

  • Motion by Goldie and second by Audrey.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Pat Ryan