How do I request an academic transcript?

Transcript requests must be made in writing and must include the signature of the student. Complete the Transcript Request Form or submit your transcript request in writing and include the following information:

  • your name
  • your Social Security number or student ID number
  • the address(es) where transcript(s) is/are to be sent
  • your original signature
  • daytime phone number, and/or e-mail address, and/or mailing address so we can reach you if we have any questions
  • your payment.

Include the appropriate transcript fees ($5 for each transcript requested). If faxing request please include credit card information including account number and expiration date to cover transcript fees. Requests can be made by:

Office of the Registrar
Empire State College
2 Union Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

518 580-0105

Please note that we cannot accept transcript requests via e-mail or telephone.

How do I change my name on my student records?

In order to change the name that is on a student record, the student must submit a written request with evidence of the name change to the Office of the Registrar. The request needs to include:

  • student name
  • student ID or social security number
  • statement requesting a name change.

The student must provide a copy of his/her Social Security card with his/her current legal name and any of the following with the same current, legal name:

  • driver’s license
  • passport
  • marriage certificate
  • court order.

The request and necessary documentation can be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Office of the Registrar.

Mail: Office of the Registrar, SUNY Empire State College, 2 Union Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866-4390

Email: registrar' — Requests and documentation can be attached as a PDF and emailed.

Fax: 518-580-0105 — Office of the Registrar, SUNY Empire State College

How do I withdraw from my studies/courses/term?

Students can remove themselves from studies/courses up to the last day of the add/drop period through MyESC.


Students can remove themselves from studies/courses after the add/drop period by submitting a withdrawal form anytime up to the end date of the term.

Where can I find a withdrawal form?

MyESC forms page, or Office of the Registrar web page,

When I withdraw using a withdrawal form, how does the withdrawal process work?

Withdrawal forms are sent to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar takes care of processing the withdrawals and communicates with the student. Contact the Student Information Center at 800-847-3000 or 518 587-2100 with any questions.

How much do transcripts cost?

Your first Empire State College transcript that is issued by the Office of the Registrar is free. All transcripts thereafter are $5 each. We accept checks, money orders, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover.

Checks or money orders should be made out to Empire State College.

If paying by credit card, include the:

  • Type of credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover)
  • Account number
  • Expiration date
  • Name of card holder
Can you fax my transcript to me or to an outside agency?
It is not a practice of Empire State College to fax transcripts.
What will my Empire State College transcript look like?
Your Empire State College transcript consists of a cover sheet, your degree program (if approved at the time of the transcript request), copies of contract evaluations of all successfully completed studies that are on file in the Office of the Registrar at the time of your request, and a summary of successfully completed studies, including letter grade information and G.P.A. Your degree program becomes part of your transcript when your center's Assessment Office and the Office of Collegewide Academic Review have approved it. A GETA (General Education Transcript Addendum) is included if you need to comply with general education requirements and your transcript is going to a SUNY school.
Will my advanced standing credits appear on my transcript?

Your advanced standing credits will be included with your transcript only if you have an approved degree program on file at the time of your request.

If you do have an approved degree program on file, the degree program will include accepted transcript credit from previous colleges that you attended, and also credit awarded for your college-level learning gained through work or life experience (credit by evaluation).

In addition, your approved degree program will list the Empire State College studies proposed to meet your requirements for graduation.

What studies are included in my Empire State College transcript?

Undergraduate transcript:

At the time of your request, all successfully completed courses/studies with verified grades/outcomes will be included in your transcript. For all studies/courses prior to the November 2011 term, the transcript will also include the narrative evaluation of the successfully completed courses/studies.

Graduate transcript:

At the time of your request, all courses with verified grades/outcomes will be included in your transcript. For all courses prior to the November 2011 term, the transcript will also include the narrative evaluation of the successfully completed courses, except for the MBA program.

When will my Empire State College transcript be mailed?

Transcripts are processed in the order they are received. Transcripts are usually mailed within two weeks of the receipt of your transcript request. We make every effort to meet specified deadlines. Please submit your transcript requests a minimum of two weeks prior to the needed date.

There may be a delay if there are outstanding academic documents needed to complete your record and we have to contact your center. Should this happen, a notice will be sent to you at that time. This notice will include a section that you may sign and return to us to have your transcript mailed "as is" if you request.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my academic transcript?

See also instructions on how to order your Empire State College transcript.

The Office of the Registrar has divided the students and alumni into groups by last name. Please use the appropriate link to communicate with the Office of the Registrar:

Contact E-mail AddressContact for students with last names beginning with... A through E F through K L through Q R through Z
Who do I contact with questions about graduation?

You should contact your center directly with questions about graduation. If they advise you that you have been recommended for graduation, you may contact the Office of the Registrar to check on the status of your graduation process.

The Office of the Registrar prepares your academic credentials (degree) and your diploma in a process that begins only after your center has recommended you for graduation, your academic record has been reviewed, and all of your financial obligations to the college have been met. In addition, we are not involved in any ceremonial activities that your center may have (often called a recognition ceremony). Again, contact your center if you have any questions about these festivities.

See also the more detailed description of Empire State College's graduation procedures.

What are my rights under FERPA?

Under FERPA, you have a right to:

  • inspect and review your educational records;
  • request to amend your educational records;
  • have some control over the disclosure of information from your educational records.

Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information Form

Authorization to Release Information Form

Will Empire State College release any of my information to another party?

Certain information, which we call "Directory Information" may be released to outside agencies. This information includes your dates of enrollment, what degree you may have been awarded, your degree award date and your area of study. We will not release any other information without a written authorization from you.

You may prohibit the release of your Directory Information by completing a Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form. Any restriction requested will remain in effect for one year.

Can I access my records via telephone?
Personally identifiable information may be released to the student via telephone only if the school official is certain that the party requesting the information is the student. In order to ensure records security, the school official must ask all of the following: student's complete name while in attendance, student's identification number, student's date of birth and student's dates of attendance at Empire State College. If the school official receiving the request cannot verify this information, then release of information will not be allowed.
I'm an undergraduate student. Can I enroll in graduate courses?

If you are within 32 credits of completing a bachelor's degree and have a concurrred degree program, you might be eligible.

Contact your primary mentor/academic advisor to discuss if this option is appropriate for you.

Further information is available at Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses.