Labor Union Partnerships
Empire State College develops credit-bearing programs to meet the specific needs of trade unions that help members advance their education.
College partnership with trade unions include:
- International Union of Police Associations: The partnership between SUNY Empire State College and the International Union of Police Associations was developed to provide IUPA members with access to a flexible, affordable, high-quality education delivered by an accredited institution. Members can study online, at one of 35 locations in New York state, or blend both approaches.
- United Steelworkers of America: The USW-ICD Distance Learning Program, coordinated by the Center for Distance Learning and the Institute for Career Development, Inc., assists workers who want to pursue an associate, bachelor’s or master's degree at a distance.
- UAW-Ford University (UFU): As one of the institutions within UFU’s virtual university network, the Center for Distance Learning offers accessible associate and bachelor’s degree programs online.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local #3; NYC District Council of Carpenters; International Union of Painters and Allied Trades; United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters; and the United Federation of Teachers Paraprofessional Program are partners through the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies located in New York City.
- New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association (NYSCOPBA): In partnership, SUNY Empire State College provides NYSCOPBA members with access to flexible and affordable undergraduate degree programs.
For information about labor union partnerships, please contact:
Mike Merrill, dean
The Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies