Labor Union Partnerships
Empire State College develops credit-bearing programs to meet the specific needs of trade unions that help members advance their education.
College partnership with trade unions include:
- International Union of Police Associations: The partnership between SUNY Empire State College and the International Union of Police Associations was developed to provide IUPA members with access to a flexible, affordable, high-quality education delivered by an accredited institution. Members can study online, at one of 35 locations in New York state, or blend both approaches.
- United Steelworkers of America: The USWA-ICD Distance Learning Program, coordinated by the Center for Distance Learning and the Institute for Career Development, Inc., was developed to assist workers who want to pursue an associate and/or bachelor’s degree at a distance.
- UAW-Ford University (UFU): As one of the institutions within UFU’s virtual university network, the Center for Distance Learning offers accessible associate and bachelor’s degree programs online.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local #3; NYC District Council of Carpenters; International Union of Painters and Allied Trades; United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters; and the United Federation of Teachers Paraprofessional Program are partners through the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies located in New York City.
- New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association (NYSCOPBA): In partnership, SUNY Empire State College provides NYSCOPBA members with access to flexible and affordable undergraduate degree programs.
For information about labor union partnerships, please contact:
Mike Merrill, dean
The Harry Van Arsdale Jr. Center for Labor Studies