M.A. and M.B.A. Residency Information
What is a residency?
A residency is two or three day academic event where you meet together with fellow students and your course instructors. The actual dates and times of your residency sessions will vary by program, information and schedules are posted each term.
The residency enables your course instructor to establish a framework and common understanding about the topic(s) being studied and the ways in which you can individually, and jointly, pursue that topic(s). Residency activities may include but are not limited to:
- Guest speakers and panel discussions;
- Watching and discussing films;
- Having the opportunity to meet face to face with instructors and advisors;
- Taking advantage of networking opportunities;
- Analyzing case studies and/or common readings;
- Working in small groups; and
- Attending workshops on specific skills.
How is it determined that I attend a residency and how many residencies will I need to attend?
The courses you enroll in will determine how many and which residencies you are required to attend. Registration is automatic when you register for a course which has a residency component; you do not need to take additional steps prior to when you check in at the start of the residency itself.
- M.A. Policy programs - if the required courses are taken two at a time, you will need to attend three (3) residencies in total.
- M.A. Liberal Studies program - if the first two required courses are taken together in the same term, you will need to attend two (2) residencies in total.
- M.B.A. program - if the first two required courses are taken together in the same term, you will need to attend three (3) residencies in total.
Where are the residencies held?
The residencies are held in the Capital District area of New York (Albany or Saratoga).
How do I dress for the residency?
Please dress business casual. Your sessions will take place in meeting rooms, so you may want to dress in layers since the temperature settings in these rooms can be difficult to control.
Are laptops required?
Please ask your course instructor.
What about travel to the residency?
You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements and hotel accommodations. We do reserve a block of rooms for students at the hotel in which the residency is being held. For each residency, a new web page is designed with degree specific schedules, travel support and a discounted room block in the hotel the residency is being held in.
Space is limited; therefore, we cannot guarantee room availability. Please view alternative accommodations for Saratoga Springs or Albany, NY to help you plan if this should occur. We encourage you to make your reservations early.
Can you tell me more about the residencies?
If your course has a space in ANGEL, your instructor will post notices there about the residency, including any assignments, technology needs or preparations which are required before hand.
Your primary mentor can assist you with academic questions.
There is a $295 fee for each residency which is paid when you register for your courses. This fee does not include transportation, lodging or meals.
When meals are provided it will be noted on the degree specific agenda.