Graduate Nonmatriculated Enrollment Policy
A student may wish to engage in graduate-level study with no intention to earn a degree. For example, a student may want to stay current in the field, or earn credit that will count toward a degree at another college or university. Each term (fall, spring and summer) the School for Graduate Studies prepares registration information specifically for nonmatriculated students. This information is available through the School for Graduate Studies webpage (www.esc.edu/GradStudents).
- The following applies to nonmatriculated study:
- study is limited to no more than three graduate courses (up to 9 credit hours) at the college if the student is in good academic and financial standing
- the student may select from the courses offered in the graduate nonmatriculated student registration information for the current term
- an official transcript must be provided verifying completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to registration as a nonmatriculated student.
- If a student begins as nonmatriculated and is later admitted, only those courses appropriate to the matriculated program may become a part of the student’s degree program. No more than two courses completed as a no-matriculated student may be applied toward a master’s degree at Empire State College.
- Although successful completion of courses as a nonmatriculated student will be considered in admissions decisions, it does not automatically qualify an individual for admission.
- Nonmatriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.
- Requesting permission to study as a nonmatriculated student:
- To be considered for nonmatriculated study, you need to complete the graduate nonmatriculated student application form available at www.esc.edu/GradStudents. This form should be returned to GradReg@esc.edu, faxed to 518 587-9760 or mailed to the School for Graduate Studies, Empire State College, 111 West Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
- An official transcript verifying completion of a bachelor’s degree must be sent to the School for Graduate Studies, Empire State College, 111 West Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
- Once the above listed information and transcript have been reviewed, the student will receive an email from the School for Graduate Studies containing registration login and password information if eligible for nonmatriculated study.
- If not eligible for nonmatriculated study, the student will be notified by the School for Graduate Studies.
- Nonmatriculated students are exempt from any field experience requirements associated with education courses offered through the college’s MAT program
- If a student successfully completes an education course(s) offered through the college’s MAT program as a nonmatriculated student and later is admitted to this program, the field experience requirement(s) must be completed by the end of the first year.
- Exceptions to the Three-Course Limit:
Occasionally, nonmatriculated students want to enroll in more than three graduate courses. This is frequently the case with teachers who want to enroll in courses for professional development or who are working toward permanent certification at another institution. A waiver from the three-course limit may be requested through the dean of the School for Graduate Studies. This request must be made in writing and can be sent to the dean at Graduate_Dean’s.Office@esc.edu or the School for Graduate Studies, Empire State College, 111 West Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
Applicable Legislation and Regulations
Related References, Policies, Procedures, Forms and Appendices
- Graduate admissions policy