M.A.T. Enrollment Sequence
The enrollment sequence is as follows:
Year One - Introductory Year (15 cr.)*
- Fall -Effective Urban Schools, 3 cr.; Child and Adolescent Development, 3 cr.
- Spring - Teaching and Learning, 3 cr.; Exceptionalities, 3 cr.
- Summer - Teaching Diverse Learners, 3 cr.
Year Two - First In-service Year (15 cr.)
- Fall - Teaching and Curriculum in the Content Area, 3 cr.; Mentored Teaching 1, 3 cr.
- Spring - Educational Evaluation in the Content Area, 3 cr.; Mentored Teaching 2, 3 cr.
- Summer - Content Area Study, 3 cr.
Year Three - Second In-service Year (12 cr.)**
- Fall - Literacy, 3 cr. Mentored Teaching 3, 3 cr.
- Spring - Literacy Across the Curriculum: specify content, 3 cr.; Mentored Teaching: Teaching Portfolio, 3 cr.***
* Each course in year one integrates structured field experiences in urban schools. Successful completion of year one in combination with the meeting of NYS Education Department requirements, leads to the NYS transitional B teaching certificate.
** Successful completion of M.A.T. program, in combination with the meeting of NYS Education Department requirements, leads to the NYS initial teaching certificate.
*** Meets Empire State College’s M.A.T. project requirement.