MALET Admission Instructions
It is the applicant’s responsibility to gather supporting credentials and submit them to the Admissions Office. To apply to the M.A. in Learning and Emerging Technologies, individuals should apply using the online application. Once all applications materials are received by the Admissions Office, the completed application will be sent to the School for Graduate Studies for review.
A complete application consists of the following:
- Application Form
- Official transcripts - Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all institutions attended are submitted to the Admissions Office. Transcripts from a non-U.S. institution must be evaluated by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO). Empire State College graduates do not need to request a transcript. One will automatically be placed in their application folder.
- Essays - Required essays specific to the degree program. Essay #1: The candidate will write a statement purpose, indicating his/her specific goals for the program, academic and/or professional preparation, and indication of a potential topic for their final project (1-2 pages). Essay #2: The candidate will submit a small sample of work using one or more digital tools, and provide a reflective essay on the intended purpose of the sample, and critique of the final result which would include thoughts of what they would change or do differently to improve it (2-3 pages).
- Digital sample -the candidate will provide a link to the digital sample as part of essay #2. *
- Resume - A resume including previous experience, education and other achievements.
- Recommendations - Two letters of recommendation from appropriately qualified persons are required. Personal references are not acceptable. The School for Graduate Studies Recommendation Form must be used. Letters of recommendation may be attached to the form. Recommendations must be received in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature across the seal.
- English Language Proficiency - Applicants for whom English is not the first language must submit proof of proficiency. The School for Graduate Studies will accept the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test scores taken within the last three years. You must score within the range of 79-94 on the TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT), 250 on the Computer-based test (CBT), 600 on the TOEFL paper-based test (PBT), or 6.5-7 on the IELTS to be considered for admission to the Empire State College graduate degree programs. Applicants, who have completed a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution or from an institution where the instruction was given in English, may be exempt.
- Orientation fee - $50 non-refundable.
* A note on the digital sample: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application, regardless of perceived proficiency in using various digital tools. A digital sample of work is requested as a way to determine applicants’ comfort levels in navigating and producing in digital environments. The faculty is interested in seeing applicants’ capability and potential, and they understand the possible range of experiences and proficiencies that individuals may bring to the MALET program. Particular attention will be paid to the brief essay of critical reflection on the purpose, design and potential of the chosen sample. Examples of possible digital samples include, but are not limited to:
- Personal website
- Portfolio (or portions of)
- Social networking page
- Photo gallery
- Video segment
- Customized form/template/brochure
- Customized flowchart/mindmpa/wireframe
- Virtual world avatar (profile)
- Machinima clip
- 3-D creation
- (or other)