Master of Arts in Adult Learning
The Master of Arts in Adult Learning is designed for students interested in adult learning and education, including:
- learning in organizations
- online learning
- adult learning in international contexts
- adults in higher education
- adult literacy
- adult learning for social change and community engagement.
A blend of theory and application, the fully online degree program provides multiple options for individualized study and program design to respond to the unique needs and interests of learners. As a student in the program, your critical awareness of yourself as a learner will be deepened within a collaborative and supportive community of diverse mentors and peers.
You will engage in critical analysis and inquiry within a robust online learning environment with opportunities to explore various educational technologies and settings, as well as experiential learning and hands-on engagement with the practices of Empire State College.
The program provides a solid grounding in the field of adult learning, focusing on theories of adult learning and modeling best principles and practices. Students customize their degree plan with a focus approved by program faculty to ensure relevance and aligment with a final project. The final project is a concrete, focused task in the field of adult learning that informs learning goals.
- Rethinking Experience and Learning (3 credits)
- Learning and Development in Contemporary Adulthood (3 credits)
- Strategies for Effective Adult Learning (3 credits)
- Approaches to Critical Inquiry and Research (3 credits)
- 18 credits devoted to the student’s individualized area of focus
- Final project
- Project Design (3 credits)
- Final Project (3 credits)
The combination of core courses and credits devoted to the student’s area of focus facilitates individualization and flexibility.
Explore this website for more details or submit a request for information.
Program Coordinator: Meg Benke, PhD, Meg.Benke@esc.edu
- Enrollment Sequence
- MAAL Electives
- Degree Program Planning and Prior Learning Assessment: Guide and Video
Apply for Admission
To apply for the M.A. in adult learning, review the admissions requirements and submit an online application.