Federal PLUS Loans
Parent PLUS Loans
Parents can borrow a PLUS loan to help pay educational expenses for their dependent undergraduate students. PLUS loans are available through the William D. Ford federal direct-loan program. Parents must have an acceptable credit history. Prior to applying for a parent PLUS loan, students must complete a FAFSA for the year they are applying for.
Graduate PLUS Loans
Graduate students may be eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance under the William D. Ford federal direct-loan program. Prior to applying for a graduate PLUS loan, students must complete a FAFSA for the year they are applying for and must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loan program.
Eligibility Requirements for PLUS Loan Applicants
- be matriculated in a degree program
- be at least half time
- maintain good academic standing
- be a citizen, national or permanent resident alien with a valid social security number; must verify their eligible noncitizen status upon request
- not be in default on any federal loan borrowed while attending any institution at any time
- not owe a refund on a federal Pell Grant, FSEOG or federal Perkins Loan (formally NDSL) to any institution
- comply with selective service registration requirements
- not be enrolled in overlapping academic terms.
Borrowers must have an acceptable credit history.
Terms and Conditions of PLUS Loans
- For loans disbursed between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014 the interest rate is fixed at 6.41 percent.
- There is a 4.204 percent origination fee.
- Repayment begins 60 days from the last disbursement of the loan.
- Parents and graduate PLUS borrowers may be able to defer payments while in school; deferment options can be reviewed at the Federal Direct Loan site.
Students should always complete a free application for federal student aid first and exhaust their annual maximum Stafford loan eligibility. If then interested in applying for a PLUS loan, the process is as follows:
- Complete a PLUS loan Master Promissory Note. By doing this, the borrower is giving the Department of Education permission to do a credit check. PLUS borrowers also must complete a PLUS entrance counseling form.
- Our office receives confirmation within five to seven business days of MPN completion from the Department of Education. We then verify PLUS loan eligibility.
- Students are notified of either the denial or approval of award.
View your Award (login required)
Empire State College
111 West Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Questions? Contact the student information center at 518-587-2100 or 800-847-3000.
Name: SUC Empire State College
The priority deadline to apply for financial aid for the 2013-2014 academic year is April 1, 2013.