Learning Resources for Studies in Community and Human Services
Recommended Links — General
Recommended Links — By the Center for Distance Learning
Emergency and Fire Services
- International City/County Management Association
professional management association for managers, administrators and assistants in cities, towns, counties, and regional entities throughout the world - includes a public safety and emergency management section with up-to-date news, an eLibrary and web links to federal agencies concerned with issues of public safety and disaster planning
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- National Fire Protection Association
membership organization advocating fire prevention through the development of safety codes and standards, training and education, offering access to codes, a wide variety of training and education programs and materials, fire-related research data, professional development seminars and conferences
- National Association of Emergency Management Technicians
educational workshops, tutorials, and interactive games on fire safety, including information on community planning and awareness
- Fire Engineering Magazine
provides training, education and management information for fire and emergency services personnel worldwide. Articles are written by experts in the fire service and focus on lessons-learned. The web site includes a discussion board, a list of conferences and events, and links to a variety of current news articles on topics related to the field.
- Fire House
comprehensive site for fire fighters including a variety of forums, an online magazine, current news articles, job listings, career and training information and events calendar
- Institute of Homeland Security
explores issues related to homeland security with links to the "Journal of Homeland Security"
State, Local and Federal Government
- Research and Special Programs Administration Office of Hazardous Materials Safety
The US Government Office of Hazardous Materials includes federal, regional and local contact information and links to rules and regulations, enforcement, training and information dissemination, domestic and international standards and inter-agency cooperative activities.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency – home page for emergency personnel
- Federal Emergency Management Agency – U.S. Fire Administration home page
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, Fire Research
Fire on the Web is a collection of resources from the Building and Fire Research Laboratory's Fire Research Division at NIST. These Web pages provide links to fire related software, experimental fire data and mpeg/quick time movies of fire tests that can be downloaded and/or viewed online.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
guide to determine the compatibility of chemical protective clothing
- New York State Emergency Management Office
The New York State Emergency Management Office (OEM) coordinates Emergency Management Services for the State. The site provides information on planning (including an interactive program for preparing an emergency plan and a Hazard Analysis Program), education (includes a training catalog which lists courses offered in the areas of Professional Development, Incident Command, Incident Command Skills and Readiness by various agencies around the state), and resources to protect lives, property and the environment (list of emergency equipment available and loan procedures, Emergency Management Times Newsletter, Radiological Emergency Planning, Weather and links to other federal, state, and emergency related web sites.
- NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control
The OFPC operates the Fire Academy. The site includes information on New York state fire programs, state reports, training opportunities and a video lending library.
- OFPC Library @ the NYS Academy of FIre Science
- United States Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
The Board's mission is to work in concert with industry, labor and government to help prevent chemical accidents by determining and addressing their causes.
- FEMA's Emergency Management Institute
offers a variety of independant study courses.
Texts and Other Links
- "Fire and Civilization" by Johan Goudsblom
- "Fire Wars" (Fire in the American West), NOVA/PBS, 2002
The website accompanying the NOVA documentary on U.S. wildfire policy since the late 1800s (using the 2000 wildfire season in the American West as its focus) offers interactive teaching modules (including a three-variable Wildfire Simulator and interactive global fire maps), links, transcript and supplementary articles including "How Plants Use Fire," by Dr. Pyne, a featured expert in the documentary.
The History of Fire