Health Insurance is available to many students at Empire State College. This program is voluntary and there are eligibility requirements. The plan details are available at www.cirstudenthealth.com/esc; eligibility requirements are listed below.
A supplemental benefits plan can be purchased by all students. This includes discount plans on dental, vision, prescription drugs and dental insurance for those who qualify. See the Supplemental Benefits section for more information.
There are several eligibility requirements students must meet in order to enroll in the voluntary plan.
- All undergraduate and graduate students must be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours at the time of enrollment in the voluntary plan. Online courses do not count toward the credit hours required for this coverage.
- Students must be New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania residents.
- Students do not need to be enrolled in 6 or more credits throughout their coverage.
- The eligibility requirements only need to be met during the term of enrollment.
A hypothetical example: Jane is currently registered for the March term. She is enrolled in three studies at 4 credits per study. Two of the studies are center-based studies. One is an independent study in which she meets with an instructor every couple of weeks, and the other is a group study. Jane’s third study is an online study. Jane currently meets the eligibility requirements because although she is taking an online study, she is taking 8 credits of center-based studies. Jane has also registered for the May term, when all her studies will be online. This will not affect her insurance because she only needed to meet the requirements at the time of enrollment.
The total cost to students on an annual basis (12 full months, Sept. 1, 2012 to Aug. 31, 2013) is $1,734.
- Students have to make one payment in full at the time of enrollment.
- Although monthly plans are not available at this time, the cost breaks down to approximately $144.50 a month — significantly cheaper than most insurance.
- The plan details and cost information are available at www.cirstudenthealth.com/esc.
For more information and access to the enrollment form, visit www.cirstudenthealth.com/esc.
For questions call either Collegiate Insurance Resources at 800-322-9901 or United Health Care at 800-767-0700.