SUNY Empire State College's dedicated faculty and staff use innovative, alternative and flexible approaches to higher education that transform people and communities by providing rigorous programs that connect individuals' unique and diverse lives to their personal learning goals.
As a community of learners at a public institution, the college is committed to:
- critical reflective inquiry that encourages active engagement in the local and the global community
- promoting social justice and a sustainable world through responsiveness to human and social circumstances
- ensuring a healthy democracy that recognizes and respects diversity in all its forms
- supporting the individual goals of our students in a collaborative mentoring environment
- acknowledging multiple avenues of learning and prior college-level learning through rigorous evaluation
- developing, implementing and assessing new approaches to learning that recognize and adapt to the diverse needs of our learners
- fostering respectful, creative and vibrant learning environments for students, faculty and staff
- supporting the scholarly, creative and professional goals of the college community
- serving students and the public with a high level of courtesy and effectiveness.advocating at the regional, state and national levels for the needs of our students and of higher education
- expanding access to affordable, high-quality educational opportunities through partnerships with employers, unions, government agencies, the armed forces, community organizations and other educational institutions.
Vision 2015 and The Power of SUNY
Vision 2015 is the college’s strategic plan and is centered on three themes: the college as an innovative learning organization, sustaining and managing growth, and telling our story. The plan identifies eight key goals within those three themes and the strategies to achieve them.
These themes align with those articulated in the State University of New York’s strategic planning document, The Power of SUNY, which will guide the university system toward realizing six big ideas: SUNY and the Entrepreneurial Century, SUNY and the Seamless Education Pipeline, SUNY and a Healthier New York, SUNY and an Energy Smart New York, SUNY and the Vibrant Community and SUNY and the World. Work at Empire State College intersects on several levels with each of these ideas but it is in the final one – SUNY and the World – that the college is charged with exploring the potential of Open SUNY, offering affordable, innovative and flexible college learning opportunities though a full range of instructional formats both online and on site.